Evening Services Assistant
Fixed- Term Position: 12-24 Months
Xavier University is seeking applications for the position of Evening Services Assistant in the University Library. This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package. This position is a fixed term position created for a specific period of time of 12 to 24 months, and will report to the Head of the Circulation Department.
The Evening Services Assistant will be responsible for overseeing the evening activities in the Conaton Learning Commons and McDonald Library, a busy, dynamic environment. The position assists all patrons with circulation and basic reference services, as well as building management. He/she will supervise student staff at our two public service desks: the Connection Center and Connection Xpress desk.
Work hours are generally from 5:00pm – 1:00am, Sunday through Thursday (variable schedule subject to change during holidays and breaks).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversees public services at the library’s two public service desks in the evening hours.
- Supervises student employees during evening hours, including hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, and disciplining student workers.
- Assists faculty, staff, and students with circulation of library materials, issue resolution, and implementation of circulation and building policies.
- Assists patrons with research in the absence of a reference librarian
- Manages patron records by running daily patron feed, distributing patron notices, and resolving patron issues.
- Organizes hold shelf for Xavier, OhioLINK, and ILLiad items.
- Creates and maintains traditional reserves by organizing materials and resolving any issues.
- Interacts frequently with faculty and staff throughout each semester.
- Directs Conation Learning Commons and McDonald Library operations during evening hours by helping to maintain the safety of the building and maintenance of equipment and supplies, including laptops, printers, copiers, fax machines and scanners.
- Communicates with Supervisors and Campus Police on events and issues during evening hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: high school diploma or equivalent; 1-3 years of library experience; excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills; and excellent computer and word processing skills, including the proficient use of Microsoft Office suite.
Preferred Qualifications: Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline; and experience working in a library system using online circulation software (such as Innovative).
The expected start date for this position is January 2013.
To ensure consideration, application must be submitted by Friday, October 26, 2012. Interested/qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and names and phone numbers of three professional references to: Ms. Connie Perme, Xavier University, Human Resources, 3800 Victory Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45207-5400 or email email@example.com.
To learn more about Xavier's mission and identity, please click here.