Go Move Challenge
We are excited to announce that Xavier University will participate with 19 additional institutions from the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities in the fifth annual Go Move Challenge, February 1–28.
- The friendly fitness competition is designed to determine which university can accumulate the most minutes of movement in one month, while simultaneously inspiring participants to incorporate valuable health and wellness activities into their routines.
Need inspiration? Check out the Go Move Challenge video!
How Does the Challenge Work?
Participants track their minutes of movement throughout the month. Movement is defined as any intentional exercise causing at least a small increase in breathing or heart rate. This includes cardio, strength/resistance, mind/body and sports/fitness.
- Registrants must track at least one minute of exercise to count as a participant
Cardio – Any indoor or outdoor physical activity that causes a temporary increase in heart rate, with or without a machine.
- Examples include walking, hiking, running, and biking.
Strength/Resistance – Any physical activity that utilizes weights or resistance (e.g. barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, medicine balls, resistance bands, gym machines, boxing equipment, gravity, etc.) to increase muscular strength.
- Examples include weightlifting, CrossFit, circuit training, barre classes, boxing, and rock climbing.
Mind/Body – Any physical activity executed with a profoundly inward-directed focus that consciously engages the mind.
- Examples include Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi, Tae Kwan Do, Qi Gong, and Karate.
Sports/Fitness – Any physical activity or fitness class in which individuals or teams compete against themselves or other teams.
- Examples include basketball, baseball, step class, aerobics class, dance, Zumba, soccer, swimming, spin class, gymnastics, rugby, football, and racquetball.
All full-time and part-time faculty and staff are eligible to participate and assist Xavier in winning the annual contest.
- An incentive is available for the first 80 people who sign up and log their minutes for the Go Move Challenge.
*Human Resources will reach out to the winning first 80 who log their minutes.
When Can You Participate?
The Go Move Challenge takes place February 1 – February 28, 2017. ?
How to Register
Visit the Go Move Challenge to create your free account:
- Select the “Log In / Register” button located on the top menu bar
- In the “Register” box, fill in the required information, including a valid university email address
- Please remember to include your department when you register
- Select the “Submit” button when finished
- You will receive a confirmation email with your user email and password
How to Log Your Minutes
Starting February 1, 2017, visit *Go Move Challenge to log your minutes:
- Click the “LOG IN / REGISTER” button on the top menu bar
- In the “LOG IN” box, enter your email address and password
- In the “LOG MY WORKOUT” box, select the type of movement activity, enter the number of minutes, and select a single date or date range for logging multiple days
- Click the “LOG IT” button when finished
*The Go Move Challenge website is mobile device friendly so that participants can track on their phones, Ipads, etc., as well as their computers.
What physical activity/movement counts?
Any minute of physical activity/movement counts. Movement is defined as any intentional, full-body exercise or activity that focuses on cardiovascular fitness or strength building. Acceptable examples include: running, walking, biking, hiking, swimming, plyometrics, yoga, surfing, strength training, walking upstairs, taking a gym/fitness class, playing a sport with friends, and playing catch with your children.
O'Connor Sports Center has graciously offered all staff and faculty who aren't current members free membership for the month of February. Please click here to see our calendar highlighted with some of the activities you can participate in and also visit O'Connor Sports Center website for additional opportunities.
Cintas has offered the concourse for walking on the following dates and time:
|February 2, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|February 6, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|February 7, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|February 13, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|February 14, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.|
|February 20, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|February 27, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
|February 28, 2017||9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.|
*The times and dates are subject to change. All walking exercises are limited to the concourse only. Please do not use the arena or banquet steps.
There is no limit to the number of minutes that you can accumulate or how often you can log minutes:
- Use an electronic device (i.e. fit bit) to record your steps and miles walked
- Partner with colleagues to walk, run, climb, jog or stroll throughout the city to accumulate points
- Read more at www.GoMoveChallenge.org/FAQ
Questions? Email the firstname.lastname@example.org.