Frequently Asked Questions

  • What medical services are available at the Health and Wellness Center?
    • The Health and Wellness Center offers the same medical services found in a typical primary care office. All our physicians are board-certified and work in their own private practices when they are not at Xavier. A physician is on site every day during the week and is on-call all other times. Our nurses are available during normal University office hours. Our services include assessment and treatment of illness and injury, medication administration, lab tests, routine and travel immunizations, vaccine administration, allergy shot administration, blood sugar testing, physicals, basic nutritional counseling and health and wellness consultations.
  • What does it cost to use the medical services of the Health and Wellness Center?
    • You do not need cash to be seen at the Health and Wellness Center. Any charges will be put on your Bursar account. There is no charge to see a health care professional. Lab and medicine charges depend on the test or medicine received. We keep our medicine charges low by the use of generic medicines whenever possible. We will provide you with a copy of all charges that you can send to your insurance company for possible reimbursement.
  • Will you bill my medical insurance?
    • We will not bill your insurance for charges received at the Health and Wellness Center. We will provide you with a copy of the charges for in house lab tests and medications. You must submit your paperwork to your insurance company for possible reimbursement. If you have lab tests ordered that we can not do at the Health and Wellness Center we will send out the labs and a copy of your insurance information to the lab and the lab will bill your insurance directly.  Outside lab work is sent to Tri Health Bethesda Lab.
  • What do I do if I have an emergency or get sick after hours or on the weekend?
    • If you have an after hours emergency  call 911 off campus, or call extension 1000 on campus. On campus, Campus police will either call for local Emergency Medical Services or page our physician to advise you.
  • I have a chronic illness/condition. Should I notify the Health and Wellness Center staff?
    • Our nurses review all medical history cards received. But we encourage you to stop by and meet us during the first week of school to arrange the best plan of individualized care. In addition, we are available to assist you with suggestions on adjusting to your new environment.
  • I would like to receive the meningitis vaccine but my primary care physician does not carry it.
    Can I receive it at the Health and Wellness Center?
    • Yes, we stock and administer meningitis vaccine as well as MMR, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis A, Human Papilloma Virus and many travel vaccines.  Call 513-745-3022 to schedule an appointment.

Our goal is to provide a safe, confidential and professional relationship in which you feel free to be as open and as honest as possible regarding your concerns.