- How do I decide whether I could benefit from counseling?
- If you are considering counseling for any reason, we suggest that you discuss your situation with a counselor. Your initial consultation could help you decide whether counseling is right for you. Keep in mind that coming to an initial appointment does not necessarily mean you are making a long-term commitment.
- Is there a fee for counseling services?
- No, there is no fee. Our services are fully funded by the University Health and Wellness fee are provided at no further charge to students.
- What can I expect during my first counseling session?
- Your counselor will begin by gathering information about you and your presenting concerns. Your counselor will provide you with feedback and describe a possible approach to your concerns. This initial evaluation is part of an ongoing collaborative conversation with your counselor.
- How much time should I expect to invest in counseling?
- Most students meet with their counselor once per week for about fifty minutes, although the frequency of sessions may vary depending on your particular needs. The duration of counseling also varies widely, from one or two sessions to several months. The most frequent duration of counseling is eight to twelve sessions.
Our goal is to provide a safe, confidential and professional relationship in which you feel free to be as open and as honest as possible regarding your concerns.