Suggested Reading List
This list is just a beginning of all the resources available for interested pre-professional health students. Great new books about medicine and other issues in professional health care and career topics are published all the time. Feel free to visit the Xavier University library, The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County or Amazon to search for new releases in medical interest areas.
You should also keep yourself current by regularly reading: The New York Times, Discover, American Medical News, Scientific American, and the Journal of the American Medical Association, among others.
A free, nonprofit online publication written to help premedical students develop an understanding of the field of medicine is Next Generation. The Next Generation provides a glimpse into the world of medicine beyond television and popular literature by providing an overview of many issues facing health professionals today. The site contains information about the real-world experiences of physicians and explores issues at the heart of the medical profession.
Next Generation is written and managed by undergraduate premedical students, but editors of the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), provide advice and oversight. NEJM is also providing the financial support for the site.
- Lewis S. Arrowsmith. New York: Penguin Books, 1924, 438pp. (Timeless classic!)
- Reynolds R, Stone J, eds. On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, Essays. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995, 448 pp.
- Schiedermayer D. House Calls, Rounds, and Healings: A Poetry Casebook. Tucson, AZ: Galen Press, 1996 100 pp.
- Seizer R. Letters to a Young Doctor. New York: Touchstone Books, 1982, 205 pp.
- Shem S. The House of God. New York: Dell, 1978, 429 pp. (Again, a classic read)
- The Blood of Strangers: Stories from Emergency Medicine by Frank Huyler
- Theater of Disorder : Patients, Doctors, and the Construction of Illness by Brant Wenegrat (Hardcover -- October 2001)
- Doctoring: The Nature of Primary Care Medicine by Eric J. Cassell (Hardcover -- July 1997)
- Medical Work in America: Essays on Health Care by Eliot Freidson (Paperback -- October 1989)
- Nurses and Doctors at Work: Rethinking Professional Boundaries by Deidre Wicks (Hardcover -- October 1998)
- Medical Choices, Medical Chances: How Patients, Families, and Physicians Can Cope With Uncertainty by Harold J., M.D. Bursztajn, et al (Paperback -- February 2001)
- Wrapped in Mourning: The Gift of Life and Donor Family Trauma by Sue Holtkamp (Hardcover -- May 2001)
- Promoting the Human-Animal Bond in Veterinary Practice by Thomas E. Catanzaro (Paperback -- June 2001)
- The Difficult Patient by Joy Duxbury (Paperback -- May 15, 2000)
- The Power of Hope: A Doctor's Perspective by Howard Spiro (Hardcover -- December 1998)
- Assisted Suicide: Finding Common Ground by Lois Snyder (Editor), Arthur L. Caplan (Editor) (Hardcover -- December 15, 2001)
- Principles of Biomedical Ethics by Tom L., Ph.D. Beauchamp, James F., Ph.D. Childress (Paperback -- February 15, 2001)
- Cases in Bioethics : Selections from the Hastings Center Report by Bette-Jane Crigger (Editor) (Paperback -- January 1999)
- Intending Death: The Ethics of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia by Tom L. Beauchamp (Editor), Tom L. Beaucham (Editor) (Paperback -- July 26, 1995)
- Issues in Health Care Ethics by Eileen P. Flynn (Paperback -- July 22, 1999)
- Ward Ethics: Dilemmas for Medical Students and Doctors in Training by Thomasine K. Kushner (Editor), David C. Thomasma (Editor) (Paperback -- August 2001)
- Confessions of a Medicine Man: An Essay in Popular Philosophy by Alfred I. Tauber (Hardcover -- December 1998)
- A Short History of Medical Ethics by Albert R. Jonsen (Hardcover -- January 15, 2000)
- Tuskegee's Truths : Rethinking the Tuskegee Syphilis Study (Studies in Social Medicine) by Susan M. Reverby (Editor) (Paperback -- July 2000)
- 20 Common Problems: Ethics in Primary Care by Jeremy Sugarman, Jeremy Sugarman M.D. M.P.H. M.A. (Paperback -- March 15, 2000)
- Life in the Balance : Emergency Medicine and the Quest to Reverse Sudden Death by Mickey S. Eisenberg (Hardcover -- July 1997)
- The Ethics of Managed Care: A Pragmatic Approach by Mary R. Anderlik (Hardcover -- August 15, 2001)
- Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives
- Emergency Doctor by Edward Ziegler
- Kill As Few Patients As Possible by Oscar London
- Intensive Care: A Doctor's Journal by John F., Md. Murray
- Baby E.R. : The Heroic Doctors and Nurses Who Perform Medicine's Tiniest Miracles by Edward Humes
- The Real Deal: Stories from the ER by Roxy Martin