SPIN, the Sponsored Programs Information Network, is an internet-accessible database service offered by InfoEd. From this site you can search on several variables for funding sources.
On the SPIN USA Search Engine, you may choose several criteria, from one or several categories. The most common ones you will designate are:
- Keywords: These describe academic disciplines/areas of interest. Examples are:
- All Education Categories
- Elementary Education
- All Medical Categories
- Health Care Administration
- Note: You can use more than one keyword.
- Applicant Types: These describe who is applying for funding. Examples are:
- Colleges, 4-year
- Young Investigator/Junior Faculty
- Award Types: These describe the type of funding offered by the funding source. Examples are:
- Research Grants/R & D
- Travel Abroad
- Conference - Attend
- Conference - Host/Conduct
- General Project
- Geographical Restrictions: These match the restrictions established by the funding sources. To limit the search to sources that will fund in the Midwest (but not exclusively in the Midwest), choose:
- No Restrictions
- U.S. Midwest
If you would like to use more specific keywords in your search, indicate those in the boxes at the bottom of the page that say either "Title Contains:" or "Description Contains:"
After you have selected all relevant criteria, click on "Run Search."
If your search is too narrow and you wish to delete criteria, return to the Search Engine screen and click on "Delete Item" (at the bottom or top of the page). It will show you all the criteria you have selected, and you can indicate which ones you would like to remove.
After running your search, SPIN will display the funding opportunities that match your criteria. You can click on the program name to see its description. You can also build reports that can be saved to a file.
The following search criteria resulted in 6 matching funding programs.
- Keyword: Applied Mathematics
- Applicant Type: Colleges/Universities
- Award Type: Research Grants/R&D
- Geographical Restrictions: No Restrictions; U. S. Midwest