Federal Funding Sources

AHRQ | Education | Energy | DHHS | HUD | Justice | EPA | Fulbright | NEA | NEH | NIH | NSF | U.S. State Dept. | USIP

Issues of the Federal Register can be accessed through the National Archives and Records Administration page. The Federal Register is the official daily publication for federal notices including announcements of grant programs.

Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)

AHRQ, formerly the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. AHRQ is the primary agency for supporting research focused on improving health care quality, reducing health care cost, and increasing access to essential services. The Funding Opportunities page lists current grant announcements.

Department of Education

For general information on grants and contracts, see theFunding Opportunities page. At the Guide to U.S. Department of Education Programs and Resources, you can search for Department of Ed programs and resources several ways, including by CFDA number, subject, and applicant type. The Forecast of Funding Opportunities page lists notices of funding programs. The Award Databases for Grants and Contracts lists grant awards made during previous fiscal years. At EDGAR, the Education Department Grants Administrative Regulations, guidelines are provided for the administration of funded grants.

  • FIPSE (Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education). Part of the Office of Postsecondary Education, FIPSE provides most funding through its Comprehensive Program, which supports local, innovative educational projects that can serve as models nationally for the improvement of postsecondary education. Deadline: check website.
  • International Education and Graduate Programs, sponsored by the Office of Higher Education, include:
    • Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad. This program supports research, training and curriculum development in foreign countries for groups of U.S. faculty, upperclassmen and/or graduate students in modern languages or area studies. Projects can be short-term seminars, curriculum development teams, group research projects, and advanced intensive language projects. Deadline: check website.
    • Fulbright-Hays Seminars Abroad-Bilateral Projects. This program funds short-term study and travel overseas for U.S. faculty in the social sciences and humanities. Typically, there are eight seminars conducted annually, in varying host countries outside of Western Europe, with 12-16 positions per seminar. Deadline: check website.
    • Faculty Research Abroad Fellowships. This program pays for travel expenses, a maintenance allowance, and other expenses associated with research conducted by U.S. faculty members in foreign countries to improve their area studies and language skills. The program's purpose is to improve the study of modern foreign languages and area studies in the United States. Deadline: check website.
    • Business and International Education Program. This program supports international training at universities for business personnel. Projects can include internationalization of curricula at undergraduate and graduate schools of business, establishment of overseas internships for students, and summer institutes in international business. Deadline: check website.
    • International Research and Studies. This program intends to strengthen instruction in modern foreign languages, area studies, and other international fields. Types of projects the program will fund include studies of the effectiveness of foreign language instruction and the development of materials for foreign language and area studies instruction. The program will not support the training of students or teachers. Deadline: check website.
    • Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language. This program funds projects that enhance the international academic offerings at universities. Eligible activities include the development of a global studies or area studies program, the creation of innovative curricula, the development of specialized teaching materials, and the establishment of overseas internship or study opportunities for faculty or students. Deadline: check website.
  • The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services funds projects that assist students with special needs, rehabilitate youth with disabilities, and conduct research to improve the lives of individuals with disabilities. Deadline: check website.

Department of Energy

The Department of Energy's Office of Science funds many Grants and Contracts. The Office of Sciences supports research in Basic Energy Sciences, High Energy Physics, Nuclear Physics, Computational and Technology Research, Fusion Energy Sciences, Biological and Environmental Research, and Energy Research Analysis. Deadlines: vary.

Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

General information on all DHHS grants is available on the Grants and Funding page. The Health Resources and Services Administration, part of DHHS, provides grants and contracts through its several bureaus. Information on HRSA grants can be found in the HRSA Grants Preview, which can be downloaded from the website. HRSA bureaus include:

  • The Bureau of Primary Health Care, has an funding opportunities.
  • The Bureau of Health Professions, which includes the Division of Nursing, which funds special projects and training, fellowship, and education programs. The lists deadlines and provides links to application forms on its Grants Programs.
  • The Maternal and Child Health Bureau, which has a programs page that lists its current program emphases and provides links to funding opportunities.

The Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration, another agency of DHHS, provides funding as described on its grants page.

DHHS's Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation is responsible for policy development and research, and strategic and implementation planning. The Funding Opportunities page lists currently available programs. Deadlines: vary.

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

HUD's University and College Programs include Community Outreach Partnership Centers. This program supports partnerships between universities and community-based organizations. Projects funded by this program will conduct applied research and outreach activities that address the problems of urban areas. Deadlines: June/July.

Department of Justice

Department of Justice funding programs are described at its Funding Resources page. Deadlines: vary.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

The EPA supports research through its Office of Research and Development. Grants and fellowships are administered by the National Center for Environmental Research and Quality Assurance. The EPA funds environmental research grants primarily through the Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Program. The STAR program has four formal solicitation periods during the year: January, March, August and October. The STAR Environmental Research Grant Announcements page lists specific funding programs. Deadlines: vary.

Fulbright Program

The Fulbright Program is primarily sponsored and administered by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State.

The programs, both for U.S. scholars and non-U.S. scholars are administered by the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES). The CIES website provides information on the programs available for the competitions.

For Fulbright-Hays Programs, see Department of Education above.

Core Fulbright Scholar Program
The core Fulbright Scholar Program sends 800 U.S. faculty and professionals abroad each year. Grantees lecture and conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields. Deadline: August 1

Fulbright Specialist Program
The Fulbright Specialist Program is designed to provide short-term academic opportunities (two to six weeks) for U.S. faculty and professionals. Shorter grant lengths give Specialist greater flexibility to pursue a grant that works best with their current academic or professional commitments. Deadline: rolling

Fulbright Distinguished Chairs Program
Awards in the Fulbright Distinguished Chairs Program are viewed as among the most prestigious appointments in the Fulbright Scholar Program. Candidates should be senior scholars and have a significant publication and teaching record. Deadline: August 1

Fulbright International Education Administrators Program
These IEA seminars are designed to introduce participants to the society, culture and higher education systems in Germany, India, Japan or Korea through campus visits, meetings with foreign colleagues and government officials, attendance at cultural events and briefings on education. Participants gain new perspective on the need to internationalize U.S. campuses and insight into how it can be done. Deadlines for India - August1, 2014; Japan and Korea - November 3, 2014; France and Germany - February 2, 2015.

Fulbright NEXUS Regional Scholar Program
The Fulbright Regional Network for Applied Research (NEXUS) Program will bring together a network of junior scholars, professionals and mid-career applied researchers from the United States and other Western Hemisphere nations for a series of three seminar meetings and a Fulbright exchange experience. Deadline: April

The following programs offer opportunities for U.S. institutions to host Fulbright Visiting Scholars and professionals from abroad to lecture at U.S. colleges and universities.

 Outreach Lecturing Fund
The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) provides travel awards through the Outreach Lecturing Fund, which enable Fulbright Visiting Scholars who are currently in the U.S. to accept guest lecturing invitations at colleges and universities. Deadline: None

Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program
The Worldwide Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program brings visiting scholars and professionals from abroad to lecture at U.S. colleges and universities for one semester or one academic year. Fulbright Scholars-in-Residence can have a significant impact on U.S. colleges and universities. The European Union Scholar-in-Residence (EU S-I-R) Program is designed to strengthen expertise in European Union affairs. Through an arrangement with the European Union, grants are available to bring European scholars specializing in EU affairs to U.S. campuses as resident fellows for one term of the academic year. Deadline: October 15

Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program administered by the Institute for International Education brings teaching assistants in 33 languages from nearly 50 countries around the world to U.S. colleges and universities to study and to teach foreign languages, assist in language instruction and serve as cultural ambassadors on campus. For academic year 2009-2010 the FLTA Program will include teaching assistants from Europe, the Middle East, Africa, North America, Latin America and Central, South and Southeast Asia. Deadlines: Feb. 15th. Languages/Participating countries.

National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)

Information on NEH programs can be found at Grants and Applications. This page provides guidelines and application materials in .pdf format. There is also an Applications Deadlines page listing deadlines for all NEH grant programs.

The Division of Education and Division of Research sponsor most of the programs relevant to Xavier. These programs include:

  • Fellowships and Summer Stipends which provide support for full-time research for a period between two months and one year. Deadlines: May (Fellowships) and September (Summer Stipends).
  • Seminars and Institutes, which fund national summer seminars and institutes in the humanities for university and school teachers. The seminars and institutes last for a period of four to six weeks, from early June until mid-August. Individuals may apply to attend the seminars and institutes, and institutions may apply to direct them. Deadline: February.
  • Collaborative Research grants, which support full- or part-time group research activities for periods of up to three years. Deadline: December.

National Institutes of Health (NIH)

NIH provides grants through its Office of Extramural Research. You can search for program announcements through the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts, which is also available by listserv subscription. NIH lists current RFPs by institute at its Request for Proposals Directory. Descriptions of several ongoing research and research training programs can be accessed from its OER Grants: Funding Program Guidelines page.

NIH research mechanisms include Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) grants, which support small, health-related faculty research projects involving undergraduates;, Research Project Grants, Program Project Grants, Conference Grants, and the Small Grant Program. These mechanisms are not offered by all of the Institutes and Centers of the NIH, and some are offered only when solicited by a Request for Applications (RFA). Deadlines for AREA grants are February 25, and June 25, and October 25. Small Grant deadlines vary by NIH Institute.

NIH Forms and Applications are available for downloading.

National Science Foundation (NSF)

NSF's funding opportunities are available on their website. The active funding opportunities can be searched by NSF organization. NSF program areas include:

The Division of Undergraduate Education funds several programs relevant to Xavier, which are described at this site.

NSF supports research and equipment for predominantly undergraduate institutions through its Research in Undergraduate Institutions (RUI) program. RUI proposals are accepted in all NSF research disciplines. Deadlines vary by discipline. NSF supports undergraduate research through its Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU). REU sites established at universities provide research experience for undergraduates from all schools. Deadline: August.

NSF also has web pages devoted to providing assistance for grant applications. These include:

U. S. Department of State

The United States Department of State supports several programs including:

  • The Educational Partnerships Program,  which supports linkages in the humanities and social sciences between academic institutions in the U. S. and foreign countries. Deadline: varies.
  • Office of Citizens Exchanges Program promotes the establishment of long-term institutional and individual linkages between the United States and other countries. The Professional Program focuses on emerging leaders and young professionals and can address a variety of subject areas, including conflict resolution and environmental protection. Funded programs normally bring Americans to other countries and foreign specialists to the U.S.

See above for information on Fulbright Programs funded by the Department of State.

United States Institute of Peace

The USIP is a nonpartisan federal institution that promotes the peaceful resolution of international conflict. USIP's Grant Program includes funding for basic and applied research, curricula development, and the strengthening of library resources. Topics are either Unsolicited, which include a broad range, or Solicited which vary annually. USIP also funds the Jennings Randolph Program for International Peace, which offers Senior Fellowships. These fellowships provide one year residence at the Institute in Washington, DC and a stipend equal to the recipient's earned income during the preceding year.


  • Unsolicited: October
  • Solicited: October
  • Senior Fellowships: September