Smooth Transitions Summer Bridge Program
Smooth Transitions (ST) is an initiative of the Multicultural, Gender, & Women's Center developed to assist first year students of color with their transition and acclimation to Xavier. Smooth Transitions is comprised of a summer orientation program and year-long mentorship program. Smooth Transitions seeks to develop students holistically and help them become self-empowered with their own expressions of their cultural identity.
Mentoring: Smooth Transitions is a mentor program that is designed to assist first year students with their transition to the University. Upper class students serve as mentors to incoming students. Smooth Transitions is an on-going orientation experience available to students of diverse backgrounds.
Leadership Opportunities: Smooth Transitions is planned and implemented by student leaders providing emerging leaders with exposure to collaborative work and management experiences through the pre-orientation program and year-long events.
Leadership Development: Mentors meet monthly with OMA staff for personal and professional development and to complete status reports on first year students. The office also provides support for the mentor through enrichment and social programs and one on one follow-up to track the success of the mentoring relationship.
Tracking: Mentors submit monthly reports and are encouraged to meet with mentees at least twice a month, serving as a support, advocate and encourager.
- August 18 - August 21, 2014
- Registration for first years, is an on-line process. Before registering, you must have already submitted your tuition deposit to Xavier's office of admission.
- To register for Smooth Transitions, log-in to the Road to Xavier website with your username and password.
- Academic Enrichment Workshops
- Cultural Identity Development Workshops
- Extracurricular Activities
- Leadership Development Workshops
- Mentor/Mentee Connections
- Time to Develop Friendships