The peer mentor is a volunteer staff member of the Multicultural, Gender, & Women's Center who provides guidance to first-year students in the Smooth Transitions Program (STP). Peer mentors serve as a role model and will help first-year students of color to make informed and beneficial decisions for their academic and social well-being. Peer mentors assist in achieving the goals of the Smooth Transitions Program, which are as follows: To assist first-year students of color with their transition to Xavier University
- To increase the retention of students of color ensuring a higher number of students of color graduating from Xavier University.
- To make students of color aware of valuable campus resources and services available at Xavier University.
- To introduce students of color to different campus programs, activities, and organizations that will enhance their success while attending Xavier University.
- To encourage interaction between students of color with faculty and staff, as well as the campus community at large.
- To educate students on issues of diversity, multiculturalism, and social justice and how these issues affect both themselves and the world around them.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete peer mentor training (please reserve the dates Saturday, April 13, 2013 and Sunday, August 18, 2013 ).
- Serve as a peer mentor for the summer orientation and academic year activities.
- Demonstrate positive leadership capabilities both within and outside of the Xavier University community.
- Make the commitment to introducing and advising first-year students to appropriate university resources and opportunities on the campus as the need arises.
- Demonstrate sensitivity and address issues of diversity with an open mind and logical judgment.
- Devise and support innovative ways to motivate students toward academic success.
- Be willing to meet during the semester to provide updates and informal progress reports on their mentees.
- Participate in all STP activities including other university events as required.