How do I file the FAFSA?
- Register for a Federal User ID (FSA ID) at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. (Dependent students and a parent must each have their own FSA ID.) The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password, replaced the PIN effective May 2015. It allows users to electronically access personal information on Federal Student Aid Web sites as well as electronically sign a FAFSA.
- Visit www.fafsa.ed.gov and complete the FAFSA on-line. (Returning students should file a renewal FAFSA.)
- Include Xavier University's school code (003144) on the FAFSA.
- Electronically sign the FAFSA. Dependent students are required to have both their signature and their parent's signature on the FAFSA.
- Once the FAFSA is received by Xavier University (usually 7 days from when you file), we will generate a Financial Aid Award and send it to the student's email address listed on the FAFSA.
How do I apply for a Direct loan?
- Register for a Federal User ID (FSA ID) at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm.
- File the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Receive your financial aid award from Xavier's Office of Student Financial Assistance.
- First time borrowers must complete Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling and a Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note.
How do I apply for the Parent PLUS loan?
- Parents should register for a Federal User ID (FSA ID) at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm (if one hasn't already been created). The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password, replaced the PIN effective May 2015.
- Determine the desired amount of the loan and loan period (i.e. semester or academic year).
- Fill out the Direct PLUS Loan Request at www.studentloans.gov.
- Complete the Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note.
- The Office of Student Financial Assistance will process the request and send an updated award letter to the student. The Department of Education will notify the parent if they are approved or denied.
How do I apply for alternative loans?
- Review Xavier's recommended alternative loan programs.
- Apply for a loan that suits your purposes.
- The lender will review the application and notify the student of their decision.
- Xavier's Office of Student Financial Assistance will receive the request to certify your alternative loan if the loan has been approved.
- Approved loans will disburse to your account at Xavier once it has finally been approved by your lender. The earliest disbursement date will be 5 days before the start of a semester.
Do I need to make an appointment to meet with a Xavier Financial Aid Counselor?
No appointment is necessary. Feel free to stop by during our office hours, when it's convenient for you. We are located on the first floor of Schott Hall. We are open Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. We are also open select Saturdays. Contact our office at (513) 745-3142 to inquire about our Saturday schedule.