Green Internships & Jobs
- USA Jobs - The Federal Government's official jobs site.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Listing of EPA full time jobs, internships and other student opportunities.
- US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) - A large array of internships and jobs throughout Ohio.
OHIO EPA - While their jobs are listed on the OHMS (below) they have information on their internship program (due mid Feb.)
Ohio Hiring Management System (OHMS) - Ohio government jobs (some environmentally related)
- Ecological Society of America (ESA) - "The largest organization of professional ecologists". Many jobs here require PhDs but includes some for undergraduates as well.
- Ornithological Societies of North America - The name says it all! This site includes a variety of jobs and internships related to your feathered friends.
- Research experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - This is an important one. See below!
- Society for Conservation Biology -
- Research experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - For folks interested in academic research this is an important one. See below!
- Student Conservation Association (SCA) - For those interested in hands on conservation experience t his is an important one. See below!
- US PIRG - A policy advocacy organization that includes environmental issues. It has a large internship program.
- sites with jobs & internships from multiple sources
- Association of Zoos & Aquaria
- Campus Ecology - Part of the National Wildlife Federation. Primarily programs and activities for current college students.
Cyber-Sierra's Job Search - "Helping you find employment in conservation occupations"
Eco.org - "Our focus is helping quality job candidates ... connect with eco-employers who care about the environment"
- Environmental Career Opportunities
Green Dream Jobs - "Your home for green jobs: renewable and clean energy jobs, green building jobs, organic jobs, and all environmental and sustainable jobs."
- Green Jobs Network - Their mission is to "connect people seeking jobs that focus on environmental and social responsibility with available opportunities and resources."
- Idealist.org - nonprofit jobs many environmentally related
- National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) - Database of environmentally related internships.
Some Popular Programs:
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
"The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program supports active research participation by undergraduate students in any of the areas of research funded by the National Science Foundation. REU projects involve students in meaningful ways in ongoing research programs or in research projects specifically designed for the REU program."
The National Science Foundations REU program is a great opportunity for students interested in research and graduate work in environmentally related sciences. Students must apply to individual programs which are varied both in location and topic. Generally these are paid research internship that last a few months over the summer. Xavier has a number of students each year go to REUs across the US.
Student Conservation Association (SCA)
"SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land."
The SCA runs internship programs across the united states for college students and recent graduates. They provide excellent hands-on in-the-field experience for individuals interested in environmentally related careers. These internships tend to be conservation oriented (e.g., restoration of habitat) rather than research intensive like the REUs described above.