Facts and Figures
As a private, Jesuit, Catholic institution founded in Cincinnati in 1831, Xavier promotes academic excellence in a liberal arts-based education while supporting the philosophy of "men and women for others." Students enjoy an academic environment of challenge and support coupled with opportunities for extra- and co-curricular activities.
As a community of inquiry grounded in the Jesuit, Catholic tradition, Xavier University is dedicated to engaging and forming students intellectually, morally and spiritually, with rigor and compassion, toward lives of solidarity, service and success.
As a comprehensive University, we offer a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. But woven through all our efforts on behalf of our students is an emphasis on ethics and values that stamps a Xavier education as Jesuit and Catholic.
- Undergraduate students: 4,355
- Total students: 6,325
- Ratio of men and women: 47% male, 53% female
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 12:1
- Average class size: 20
- Retention/percent of students who return for their sophomore year: 83%;
Freshman class of 2018:
- Record number of applications: 11,575
- Record number of acceptances: 8,485
- Number enrolled: 1,258
- Multicultural students: 26%
- First generation college students: 21%
- More than 15 religions represented
Academic Profile: Middle 50%
- GPA: 3.3-4.0
- ACT: 23-29
- SAT: 1030-1230
- Xavier ranks fifth in the Midwest among top regional universities in U.S. News World Report& 2015 edition of Americas Best Colleges, the 20th year in a row that Xavier has been in the guidebook.
- U.S. News & World Report also ranks Xavier No. 1 in the Midwest for an average six-year graduation rate of 76 percent and No. 2 among Best Colleges for veterans.
- Xavier's part-time MBA program in the Williams College of Business is listed among the top 100 programs nationwide by U.S. News & World Report for 2015.
- Xavier is featured in the 2015 edition of The Best 379 Colleges for undergraduate programs by The Princeton Review.
- Xavier is listed as one of the best in the nation for 2015 in Forbes.com ranking of America's Top Colleges.
- Xavier ranks 12th in the nation in 2014 for the Graduation Success Rate of its student-athletes which, at 97 percent, is highest among Big East Conference schools.
- The MBA program in the Williams College of Business is featured in The Princeton Review's 2015 edition of The Best 296 Business Schools.
- Alumni Factor ranks Xavier one of 227 schools in the U.S. for the success of its alumni in the 2014 ranking of schools based on the lifetime accomplishments of their graduates. It ranked 10th among regional universities on the list.
- G.I. Jobs Guide to Military Friendly Schools ranks Xavier in the top 15 percent among colleges nationwide for 2015, the sixth year Xavier has been included in the guide.
- Xavier's part time MBA and Entrepreneurship programs in the Williams College of Business are listed in the 2015 edition of Best Graduate Schools by U.S. News World Report.
- Xavier is named by Kiplinger's Personal Finance on its Best Value list for 2014 of 100 top private American universities that offer quality education for an outstanding value.
Commitment to service and excellence in education
- Xavier offers three different honors programs to challenge students: Honors Bachelor of Arts (HAB), University Scholars. Philosophy, Politics and the Public (PPP). Established in 2003, the PPP program is the only one of its kind among American universities.
- Xavier's James and Delrose Eigel Center for Community-Engaged Learning facilitates collaborative grassroots action among residents, local organizations and institutions leading to comprehensive, asset-based community development.
- The Cintas Institute for Ethics at Xavier University helps faculty increase their exposure and confidence in the areas of business ethics and social responsibility, enables students to have increased moral courage to do "the hard right, as opposed to the easy wrong," and acts as a resource for the business community.
- Fenwick Place, opened in 2011, is truly a state-of-the-art living community with suite-style rooms, grand views of campus from the study lounges and hoff Dining Commons right downstairs.
- Xavier is one of only four schools to have their men's basketball program reach the Sweet 16 four years in a row.
- Since 1988, Xavier athletic teams have appeared in 44 NCAA Tournaments (not including the rifle team or individual appearances in track and golf).
- As part of the Atlantic 10 Conference in 1995-2013, Xavier teams have won 23 conference tournament championships and 17 regular season crowns.
- Xavier has long ranked among the nation's top Division I schools in terms of academic success. For example, since 1985, Xavier has graduated all of its senior men's basketball players.
- As of July 1, 2013, Xavier was proud to join the Big East Conference.
Financial Aid and Outcomes
- Xavier's four-year graduation rate of 70 percent is more than double the national average for public institutions at an estimated 30 percent.
- New Xavier graduates earn an average of $39,000 to $60,000 a year.
- Scholarships range from $9,000 per year to full tuition.
- Approximately 100% of Xavier students receive financial aid.