Thursday, September 30, 2010
We invite applications from students with a bachelor?s degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants? transcripts should reflect at least a 3.2 GPA in undergraduate English courses and at least a 3.00 cumulative GPA for all undergraduate coursework. Applicants should have excellent writing skills and a strong background in the humanities but need not be undergraduate English majors; however, applicants who were not English majors as undergraduates may need to take one or more courses as prerequisites.
Applications for the program are accepted throughout the year. You may begin the program in the summer, fall, or spring term.
To be considered for admission as a degree-seeking graduate student, submit the following to the office of graduate services:
- Completed application with current application fee
- One official transcript (sent directly from the college/university) of all undergraduate and graduate work from accredited colleges and universities
- Official test scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), taken within the two-year period prior to application to the program, OR two academic letters of recommendation, at least one from a former or current professor who can speak to the applicant?s preparation for graduate study, sent directly from the letter writers to the office of graduate services
- A writing sample that evidences the applicant?s ability to analyze a text (preferably a work of literature), which can be an academic paper from a previous undergraduate or graduate course. Applicants who cannot provide such a sample should contact the director of the M.A. in English (below) for information about acceptable substitutions and should submit GRE scores instead of letters
- A brief statement of intent/purpose if applicant wants to explain areas of interest in English studies or objectives in seeking the degree (optional)
Applications are processed immediately upon receiving all of the necessary materials, and you will be notified of your status as soon as possible. The Admission Committee considers all of the information contained in the admission application, including prior grades, test scores, and evidence of potential for success in graduate study.
For further information about the M.A. in English, including an application, please complete the web inquiry form. Questions regarding the application process may be e-mailed directly to the office of graduate services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the director of the M.A. in English, Dr. Tyrone Williams, call 513-745-2014 or 800-344-4698, or e-mail at email@example.com