Early Childhood Licensure
To begin the admission process for the early childhood cohort program, the student must meet with an academic advisor for transcript review and discussion of the program. Call (513)745-3701 for an appointment. Please bring an official copy of transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate work to this meeting.
Next the student must apply for admission to the M.Ed. in elementary education.
Upon acceptance into the Master of Education program a candidate may begin the required courses listed below. Candidates are responsible for graduate information contained in the Xavier University Catalog, such as the comprehensive exam and other graduation requirements.
- EDEL 500 Classroom Culture (includes 50 hours of assigned field experiences) (3 credit hours)
- EDFD 500 History and Philosophy of American Education (3 credit hours)
- EDFD 510 Advanced Human Development and Learning (3 credit hours)
- EDEL 251 Instructional Technology (3 credit hours)
- EDEL 260/560 Cultural Diversity in Education (3 credit hours)
During the semester(s) prior to the beginning of the cohort program, the candidate will complete general education prerequisite courses identified by an advisor.
While not required for licensure, the three courses that complete the Master of Education Core may be taken at this time as well:
- EDFD 505 Organization of Education Systems in the United States (3 hours)
- EDFD 507 Educational Research (2 hours)*
- EDFD 508 Education Research Paper (1 hours)*
* EDFD 507 and EDFD 508 are to be taken simultaneously, and are considered one class.
Provided the general education requirements have been completed by the end of the spring semester, the student may then apply in January for the cohort beginning in the May term of the same year.
Applications for the cohort program are reviewed by a faculty team and evaluated on the basis of the following:
- EDEL 500 final grade
- Field work evaluation
- Grade point average
- Miller analogies test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exams (GRE) scores
- Written and Oral Communication Skills
To be considered for admission to the early childhood cohort, students must submit a application to the Childhood Education & Literacy Department. If students have questions or concerns regarding admission into the cohort, please contact Mary Lisa Vertuca (mailto:email@example.com) or 513-745-3701. Students should plan to apply the spring semester before the summer semester that they wish to start. Please click here for a Early Childhood Education Cohort Application and Frequently Asked Questions.
Early Childhood Licensure Cohort Curriculum
Summer Semester: 1st Session
- EDRE 569 Phonics and the Foundations of Literacy (3 hours)
- EDEC 558 Play & Arts in Early Childhood (3 hours)
- EDRE 512 Reading Methods for Early Childhood (3 hours)
Summer Semester: 2nd Session
- EDEC 555 Early Childhood Care/Practices (includes field observation) (6 hours)
- EDCH 524 Early Childhood Children's Literature (3 hours)
- EDEL 370 Field Experience (2 days a week) (2 hours)
- EDEC 336BL Language Arts and Social Studies Cohort (4 hours)
- EDEC 331BL Math and Science Cohort (4 hours)
- EDEC 325 Methods of Observation and Assessment (3 hours)
- EDRE 678 Diagnosis/Correction of Reading Disabilities (3 hours)
- Students take "Early Childhood Education" OAE #012
- EDRE 671 Content Area Literacy (3 hours)
- EDEC 455 EC Cohort: Current Issues (1 hour)
- EDEC 454 Student Teaching (5 days a week) (6 hours)
- Students take OAE Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Early Childhood (PK - 3) #001
Curriculum is subject to change.