State of Ohio, School Counselor
If you wish to apply for State of Ohio, School Counselor License, you will need the recommendation of the college (Xavier University) when you apply. If you did not complete your license program through Xavier University, stop and contact the university where you completed your license program.
The following items are required at Xavier University to apply for State of Ohio, School Counselor License:
- Xavier University’s Education License Fee is $35.00. More on fees »
- Please make personal check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to “Xavier University”. (Please write “Education License Fee” in the memo line of the check). All fees are non-refundable.
- You will need to complete an Initial Ohio License Application – In State. Please print off and complete in black permanent ink.
- A completed and signed Xavier University transcript request form. There is no additional cost to you for the transcript at “normal processing”. Your signature is required on the form. This gives Ms. Virginia Hewan, Director for Certification/Licensure permission to receive your transcripts to use for review/process for licensure.
- Include with the above, your fee of $200 for five year initial professional license. Make check or money order payable to “Treasurer, State of Ohio.” Cash not accepted. *** You CANNOT apply for the 2 Year Provisional License. This is no longer available. You MUST apply for the five year initial professional license.***
- Complete and have notarized the “Statement of Moral Character” form. Complete the form in front of an Ohio notary public. Do not fill out any part of the form beforehand.
- Complete “Ethnic Origin” form.
- Mail all of the above to:
Ms. Virginia Hewan, Director for Certification/Licensure
College of Social Sciences, Health, and Education
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45207-3224
- The Praxis II test currently required for State of Ohio, School Counselor is “School Guidance and Counseling”, test #0420. The telephone number for ETS is 1-800-772-9476. Please ask the Educational Testing Service to send your official test score report directly to Xavier University, code #1965 and The Ohio Department of Education, code #R7945. Student copies of test score reports are not accepted.
- Complete Xavier University coursework requirements. Please see your advisor or Department Chair with any questions about completing all program requirements.
- Graduate students must send all previous official transcript(s) to:
Graduate Services Office
Cincinnati, OH 45207-3211
- Telephone (513) 745-3360. If you did not complete the admission process and did not submit completed and finalized transcripts showing degrees and dates of graduation, please complete this task as soon as possible.
- Check on bursar holds. If you have a bursar hold the Registrar’s Office will not release your official transcript needed to review and process licensure.
- Questions may be directed to Ms. Virginia Hewan, Director of Certification/Licensure or (513) 745-2952.