License and Process: State of Ohio, Principal, Superintendent and Administrative Specialist License
If you wish to apply for State of Ohio, Principal, Superintendent or Administrative Specialist License, you will need the recommendation of the college (Xavier University) when you apply. If you did not complete your license program through Xavier University, stop and contact the university where you completed your license program.
The following items are required at Xavier University to apply for State of Ohio, Principal, Superintendent or Administrative Specialist License:
- Xavier University’s Education License Fee is $35.00. More on fees »
- Please make personal check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to “ Xavier University”. (Please write “Education License Fee” in the memo line of the check).
- All fees are non-refundable.
- You will need to complete an Initial Ohio License Application - In State. Please print off and complete in black permanent ink.
- A completed and signed Xavier University transcript request form. There is no additional cost to you for the transcript at “normal processing”. Your signature is required on the form. This gives Ms. Virginia Hewan, Director for Certification/Licensure permission to receive your transcripts to use for review/process for licensure. DO NOT fill out the lower left section of the transcript request form that says MAIL TO. Please leave this section blank for the Certification Office to fill out.
- Include with the above, your fee (if applicable) for $200.00. Make check or money order made payable to “Treasurer, State of Ohio.” Cash not accepted.
- Complete and have notarized the Statement of Moral Character. Complete the form in front of an Ohio notary public. Do not fill out any part of the form beforehand.
- Complete the Verification of Experience Principal form, Verification of Experience Administrative Specialist License form or the Verification of Experience Superintendent License form. Complete the form and have it signed by the Superintendent, or Director of Personnel of the school district where you claim the experience.
- Very important: You must check the form carefully to be sure it is filled out completely and accurately.
- Complete the Ethnic Origin form.
- Photocopy of current, valid teaching license.
- Mail all of the above to:
Ms. Virginia Hewan, Director for Certification/Licensure
College of Social Sciences, Health, and Education
3800 Victory Parkway
206 Hailstones Hall
Cincinnati, OH 45207-3224
- The Praxis II test is currently required for State of Ohio, Principal, Superintendent or Administrative Specialist License is “Educational Leadership: Admin & Supervision”, Test #0411. The telephone number for ETS is 1-800-772-9476.
- Please ask the Educational Testing Service to send your official test score report directly to Xavier University, code #1965 and The Ohio Department of Education, code #R7945.
- Student copies of test score reports are not accepted.
- Complete Xavier University coursework requirements. Please see your advisor or Department Chair with any questions about completing all program requirements.
- Graduate students must send all previous official transcript(s) to:
Graduate Services Office
100 Hailstones Hall
Cincinnati, OH 45207-3211.
Telephone (513) 745-3360.
- If you did not complete the admission process and did not submit completed and finalized transcripts showing degrees and dates of graduation, please complete this task as soon as possible.
- Check on bursar holds. If you have a bursar hold the Registrar’s Office will not release your official transcript needed to review and process licensure.
- Questions may be directed to Ms. Virginia Hewan, Director of Certification/Licensure at firstname.lastname@example.org or (513) 745-2952.