Certificate/License and Process: Kentucky
If you wish to apply for Kentucky certification, you will need the recommendation of the college (Xavier University) when you apply to Kentucky. This means that before Xavier University can recommend you to another state for teacher license, you will need to have already completed all state requirements for Ohio. This includes all relevant Ohio Praxis II/and or OAE/Pearson testing requirements. If you did not complete your license program through Xavier University, stop and contact the university where you completed your license program.
The following items are required at Xavier University to apply for Kentucky certificate or salary rank change:
- You must complete a Kentucky CA-1 Application form
- Please see the following link for new updated requirements for KY licensure:
Additionally, an applicant applying for initial certification in Kentucky will need to submit a Kentucky state and federal background check. The background check must have been completed within twelve (12) months of the date the application is received by the EPSB. The background check used to obtain employment as a certified educator in Kentucky public schools or to be placed as a student teacher in a Kentucky public school may be submitted to the EPSB to meet this requirement. All other applicants who do not have a background check readily available to submit with your application, may request a background check from the Kentucky State Police using the following form: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/pdf/employment_rev11_10.pdf . An FBI background check may be obtained by following directions found here: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/submitting-an-identity-history-summary-request-to-the-fbi.
Request your transcript at the following link: http://www.xavier.edu/registrar/students/Request-Your-Transcript1.cfm There is a $10.00 fee for your transcript. See above link for instructions to pay. Your signature is required on the form. Please choose rush processing and list Ms. Renée Gosney as the name to receive the transcript.
- Include with the above, your fee (if applicable) for $50.00. Personal check/cash not accepted.
- Make cashier's check or money order payable to "Kentucky, State Treasurer." Kentucky will charge $50.00 to process Rank change/issue or reissue regular five year certificates. Fee not required for Statement of Eligibility, or for completion of Level I programs. $50.00 fee needed with completion of Level II programs, and/or rank change.
- This fee may also be paid online.
- If paid online, a copy of the receipt must be submitted to the address below.
- DO NOT mail your CA-1 application or transcript to the State of Kentucky. Mail all of the above (except fingerprinting) to:
Ms. Renée Gosney
College of Professional Sciences
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45207-3224
- Applicants applying for "Statement of Eligibility" need to send the Education Professional Standards Board, Division of Certification, Frankfort, Kentucky the following:
- Kentucky state and federal background check (See link above for instructions)
- Official Praxis and/or OAE/Pearson score reports. Remember that Kentucky has different test requirements than those required by Ohio. Refer to Kentucky testing information at http://www.kyepsb.net/assessment
- All previous official transcripts showing college work.
- Photocopy of your Ohio teaching certificate or license.
- Send any other information to the Education Professional Standards Board which may be requested from the applicant.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or (513) 745-3521.