There are many safety resources available to students who live off campus. Check out Xavier Campus Police Department. You are also encouraged to visit the websites of the police departments responsible for the communities surrounding Xavier; a listing is available here.
If you have any concerns about crime in your neighborhood, feel free to check out Crime Reports. This will allow you to view crime reports for the neighborhoods. You can also contact the Neighborhood Liaison Officer for your neighborhood or the District Commander for that neighborhood.
District Four Commander
Captain Maris Herold
4150 Reading Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45229
North Avondale Neighborhood Liaison Officer
Officer Lori Hammann
District Two Commander
Captain Jeffrey Butler, Jr.
3295 Erie Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45208
Evanston Neighborhood Liaison Officer
Officer Perry Locke
General Off Campus Safety Information
- Did you know that Norwood and North Avondale have direct notification systems for emergencies? If you are going to rent in North Avondale, go to Citizen Observer and sign up for the alerts (right side of the webpage). If you are in Norwood, go to Nixle.
- Check to make sure that rental properties have working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers with service tags. If a fire extinguisher is not provided, ask your landlord to provide one.
- Check the door systems of the property. Are there wood or metal door frames? Are doors in good condition? Is there a deadbolt? Are there peepholes on the doors? If not, can these things be installed?
- Check the windows and screens for damage. Make sure windows have screens and can be locked!
- Request information from the landlord or police about crimes and types of crimes in the area. Do research on your own! Check out the Commuter Services website for information on the communities surrounding Xavier.
Checking out the Property
- Is there sufficient lighting?
- Are all exit/entrance points well lit?
- Are the trees and bushes surrounding the property well maintained?