Middletown is a community in southwest Ohio between Cincinnati
and Dayton along the important I-75 corridor. It has a
strong identity based on an independent industrial base
focused around steel and paper manufacturing. For decades
wonderful cultural arts and community festivals were supported
by individual and corporate citizens. The community had
a diverse population with people from a wide range of
income levels living together in town. Over the past 30
years things have changed and the community is coming
to understand that to move in a positive way Middletown
will have to create new ways of doing business, and include
a much wider segment of the community in decision-making
and community change.
For more information on Middletown, please
visit the City
of Middletown website.
To implement place
matters in Middletown the recommendation
was to include the entire west side of Middletown as the
planning area and to create three distinct focus neighborhoods
(For more on this selection process click
2. the Douglass Park neighborhood, and
3. the Damon Park /Amanda neighborhood.
The 3 place
matters focus neighborhoods.
The projects supported
place matters in Middletown are
different for each focus neighborhood.
1. Market & Promote Downtown's Assets & Events
2. Improve the Physical Conditions of Specific
3. Target Buildings are Occupied with Users.
DAMON PARK GOALS
1. Improve relationships and form partnerships within
2. Nurture the success of our children.
3. Identify community resources and needs.
4. Promote healthy, sustainable living.
DOUGLASS PARK GOALS
1. Support moms through connections to an early childhood
2. Work with young adults to build leadership, character
3. Create and support a comprehensive communications