Avondale is home to five major hospitals and the famed
Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens. While the neighborhood
has high levels of poverty, unemployment and neglected
housing, it also has significant social capital and economic
For more information on Avondale, please
visit the Avondale
Community Council’s website.
The projects supported by place
matters in Avondale have two goals:
1. Create a nurturing environment where
children, young people and their families are safe and
encouraged to develop intellectually, socially, physically
and morally to their fullest potential.
2. Fully draw upon the assets surrounding
the community so that Avondale gains a reputation as an
economically stable community where residents have good
jobs and are able to live comfortably.
The strategies to achieve these goals include:
• support at-risk mothers in the neighborhood;
• promote health awareness through the Do Right!
• target two to four streets for housing renovation
and new construction;
• engage young people in a community-based program
to promote leadership, discipline and
civic participation; and
• help Avondale residents prepare for, find and
retain jobs with local employers.
South Avondale School.
The lead organization in Avondale is the Avondale
matters believes that Avondale has an
unparalleled opportunity for change, but it needs the
participation of the entire community to succeed. To find
out how you can help, please contact the Avondale place
matters liaison, Bill Witten, at 513-646-8944
or email email@example.com.