Career coaches serve current students and alumni of ALL majors. They can assist with major & career exploration, job & internship search strategies, resume/cover letter feedback, mock interviews and other career development topics.
SCHEDULE A ONE-ON-ONE APPOINTMENT
Schedule an appointment via the Hire-A-Muskie system. Click here for instructions. You may also stop by in person at Conaton Learning Commons, room 530 or call 513-745-3141. Walk-in hours are also available (see details below).
You are expected to honor all scheduled coaching appointments by being on time and prepared. If more than 15 minutes late for an appointment, and who have not notified The Career Development Office, will be asked to reschedule.
If you cannot make a scheduled coaching appointment, they are required to notify The Career Development Office 24 hours in advance.
Walk-ins are "first-come, first-served", 15-minute sessions for quick questions, such as resume/cover letter critiques and other immediate concerns. Walk-in hours are not offered during large campus events (ex: career fairs).
Tuesdays 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Thursdays 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
*15 minute career coaching
**Weekday walk-ins will resume in fall term.
Xavier University’s CDO staff is devoted to working with, and supporting, Xavier students and alumni in determining and exercising their career related goals.
Terms and guidelines of your coaching appointment:
- Appointments are approximately 60 minutes, if needed.
- CDO services are free for students and alumni.
- Your career coach may:
- suggest follow-up appointments if needed.
- distribute handouts for supplemental guidance and provide tools and resources (including online) for you to use outside of your appointment.
- recommend other places on campus offices or community resources/agencies that may be helpful to your career goals
Please come prepared to talk with your coach and be open to questions, feedback, and suggestions. We expect you to be actively involved in this process as this is your journey.
There is no official limit to sessions with a career coach; however, only assistance on career related goals is provided. If your coach determines our services no longer meet your needs, you will be referred to additional services and resources on campus and/or in the community.
What you CAN & CANNOT expect from your coaching appointment:
- Career coaches WILL show you techniques which may be utilized to direct your job search and build a targeted network. They will NOT provide a list of contacts, employers, alumni or targeted job leads.
- Career coaches WILL provide you with job and internship searching techniques and resources. They will NOT find you a job or internship.
- Career coaches WILL give you more information and resources to help you decide your major or identify job opportunities. They will NOT tell you what job/major is best for you.
- Meet with your academic advisor/faculty for your academic course selections or a four-year course plan. Career coaches will NOT recommend specific classes.
- Career coaches WILL assist in guiding you to various resources to research and identify graduate schools/programs which best fit your goals. They will NOT choose graduate programs or schools for you.
- Career coaches WILL provide a review of your materials (e.g. resumes, cover letters, and letters of intents) as well as tools and resources for you to complete these documents on your own. Edits for grammar and spelling may be suggested by the coach, but ultimate responsibility for this lies on you. They will NOT write/create these documents for you.
XU’s Career Development Office adheres to the regulations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).