Before a student may begin working in his/her position, Student Employment must approve and advertise the job.
Steps for Hiring a Student Employee
Ensure the job description on file with Student Employment is up-to-date. (Call 745.4880)
If this is a new position or a change to an existing position, submit a Position Description Form to
Student Employment by to email@example.com.
- In the position description please include: duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills required, and the amount of supervision the student employee will receive.
- If this is a new position or a change to an existing position, submit a Position Description Form to
- All student employee positions must be advertised. Students may not be handpicked. Submit the Student Employment Job Posting Form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions are advertised via Hire-A-Muskie and must be posted for a minimum of 3 days, but 5 days is recommended. The only exception to posting the position is to hire at the Student Employment Fair.
Once a student is hired,
Supervisor's must submit a Payroll Authorization Form (PDF). This form is required as follows:
- The student is being hired in a new position
- The student is continuing or returning to the same position from Academic Year to Summer and vice versa.
Students who have not previously worked on-campus for a Xavier Employer is required to complete new hire paperwork prior to starting to work. Please advise your student to visit the Career Development Office at 530 Conaton Learning Commons to begin this process. What student needs to bring with them to complete their new hire paperwork.
- Students only need to fill out the Xavier new hire paperwork once unless information needs to be changed such as # of tax exemptions or bank account has changed for direct deposit.
- A student employee should NEVER begin working until employment paperwork has been completed. This is a federal policy. A student is not officially authorized to work until Student Employment receives and approves all employment forms. Therefore, a student should not submit paperwork and expect that a time sheet is available to record hours already worked.
- Supervisors who hire several students at one time may make special arrangements for a group processing session by contacting Student Employment at 513.745.4880.
- Supervisor's must submit a Payroll Authorization Form (PDF). This form is required as follows: