Student Employment must approve and advertise a student employment job before a student employee may begin working in the position.
Steps for hiring a student employee
- Supervisors seeking to fill positions must first ensure that they have a current job description on file with Student Employment.
- If Student Employment does not have a current job description on file, a description must be submitted to be properly classified. Position Description Form
- Positions are classified and approved by Student Employment. Submit the detailed position description to Student Employment including the duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills required, and the amount of supervision the student employee will receive.
- The position must be advertised. Supervisors must complete a Student Employment Job Posting Form, and submit the form to Student Employment. Student Employment positions are advertised via eRecruiting.
- Student Employment operates a self-referral system. Students may contact hiring officials directly to apply for positions that are advertised.
- Hiring officials may require candidates to complete the department's own application or to submit résumés to review candidate qualifications.
- The hiring official and the student employee must complete and submit the required paperwork to Student Employment.
- View and/or print .
- If this is the student's first job on campus, he or she must complete and submit the required forms for new employees. See below for international student information.
- Before submitting the required forms to Student Employment, he or she must first present the completed Payroll Authorization Form which is located on the portal under the Business Tab and listed under Xavier Forms.
If the student has already worked on campus in the Student Employment Program, he or she must complete and submit the following forms:
- If returning to the same position and department use the Payroll Authorization Form.
- If hired in new department or position title has changed use the Payroll Authorization Form.
- The student must complete all required forms to Student Employment in the Career Development Office. It is essential that these forms are processed in Student Employment before the student begins to work. Student employees must submit hiring paperwork to Student Employment between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m Monday-Friday.
- It is very important to remember that a student employee should NEVER begin working until employment paperwork has been submitted to the Development Office; this is a federal policy. A student is not officially authorized to work until Career Development receives and approves all employment forms. Therefore, a student should not submit paperwork and expect that a time sheet is available to record hours already worked.
- Supervisors who hire several students at one time may make special arrangements for a group processing session by contacting Student Employment at (513) 745-4880.
- After the international student has been hired, he or she must come to Student Employment to complete the required social security request form and other hiring forms. The student must present a valid passport or visa, I-20 and F-1 to the office of student employment.