Students who are eligible to receive federal money in return for their work in on-campus positions or off-campus positions via the Community Service Jobs Program (CSJP). Students' eligibility for Federal Work Study funds is determined by the Financial Aid Office. These students receive priority in the hiring process.

  • Community Service Jobs Program (CSJP)

The CSJP Program with qualifying literacy programs such as after-school programs in elementary schools receive federal support for 100% of the student's wages. The program provides off-campus job opportunities for students. Jobs must be suitable to the scheduling and other needs of the employed student and, to the maximum extent practical, complement and reinforce the educational program or vocational goal of the student. Jobs in private homes are not accepted in this program.


Students that are not eligible for Federal Work Study funds, but the Financial Aid Office determines that they are eligible to receive University assistance to off-set expenses.


Students who aren’t eligible for Federal Work Study or University Employment funds may also have an opportunity to work on campus.  Xavier Employers are required to post all available positions and hire from the Federal Work Study pool of students whenever possible.  However, if a department is unable to find an awarded student who meets their position criteria, they may then open their posting to all students.    


International students aren't eligible for federal funded assistance.  These students should confirm permission to work through the Center for International Education (CIE).

ML 2171
(513) 745-2864

While most of the student employment regulations are not different for national and international students, there are some differences:

  • International students are mandated by their visa status to maintain full-time enrollment each academic semester. International student employees must get approval for any exemption to this regulation from both Center for International Education (CIE) and their academic department.
  • Because international students can only work on campus, it is very important that they understand the student employment guidelines and do not become ineligible to work due to violations of these guidelines. They are eligible to work for Xavier employers whose position doesn't require a student with federal work study and may also seek employment with non-Xavier employers who are located on campus. They may also work during breaks (Winter, Spring, Summer).
  • International students must come to the Career Development Office to complete new hire paperwork and to receive eligibility to secure a Social Security Card from the Office of Social Security Administration.


Graduate students may be employed in a standard student employee position or in a Graduate Assistantantship (GA).

A graduate student who is in a Graduate Assistantship (GA) has signed a contract with the University to perform a certain number of hours of work in return for a stated compensation. In addition to their hourly pay, a tuition remission award is typically granted. GA's may work up to the number of hours indicated in their contract and within the dates indicated on their contract.  Learn more about Graduate Assistantships.


The University's policy regarding tuition remission/exchange students working on campus is that the student may only work between semester breaks (fall, spring and summer). During the academic semesters they may seek employment with on-campus non-Xavier employers.