Parents & Family
Parents and Career Development Office (CDO) staff share a common goal - to help your student make sound career decisions and prepare them for reaching those goals. Students today are offered so many choices and opportunities that it is often difficult for them to decide on "the best" career path to follow.
Please encourage your student to make the most of the resources at Xavier University, including taking advantage of the services provided by the Career Development Office.
All CDO services are free to Xavier students and alumni.
One-on-One Coaching Appointments
To help your student make the most of their coaching appointments, please use the guide below.
What Your Student Should Expect
• Students should come prepared to talk, be open to questions, feedback, and suggestions. (We expect students to be actively involved in this process as this is their journey.)
• There is no official limit to sessions with a career coach; however, only assistance on career related goals is provided. If a coach determines that our services no longer meet a student's needs, they will be referred to additional services and resources on campus and/or in the community.
• Coaches will show your student techniques, which may be utilized to direct their job/internship search and build a targeted network. The coach will not provide a list of contact, employers, alumni or targeted job leads.
• Coaches will give your student more information and resources to help your student make their own job/major decisions. The coach will not decide for your student what is best for them.
• Students should meet with their academic advisers to discuss their course selections or a four-year course plan.
• Coaches will assist in guiding your student to various resources to research and identify the graduate programs which best fit their goals.
• We are first and foremost educators. Coaches will review your student's materials (e.g. resumes, cover letters, and letters of intents). Coaches will not write the documents for them.
Resources for Your Student
XU’s Career Development Office adheres to the regulations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). For more information please visit, http://www.xavier.edu/registrar/ferpa.cfm