Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Awareness Day will be held in Xavier University’s Conaton Learning Commons (3725 Ledgewood, 45207, NW corner of Dana and Ledgewood) on Thursday, April 28 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. AOD Awareness Day is part of a two-year campus-wide campaign to raise awareness about AOD abuse and misuse and offer helpful resources and prevention tools.
Highlights of the AOD Awareness Day include:
10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Conaton Learning Commons; 3rd floor entrance/foyer, Kennedy Auditorium.
· Memorial Wall of college age victims of AOD related deaths in Cincinnati and surrounding area. The wall will be displayed both inside and outside Kennedy Auditorium (4th floor of CLC.)
· Presentations by community agencies
· Highlights of Xavier’s campus-wide AOD Prevention Campaign
2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Mock DUI Crash in Bellarmine Circle.
· Students and emergency medical services (fire, ambulance and police) will act out an actual DUI crash. EMS will use the Jaws of Life. Injured passengers will be taken away by ambulance and helicopter and the driver will be arrested.
4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Conaton Learning Commons, 3rd floor entrance/foyer
· A don’t-miss an opportunity packed with a special interactive handheld clicker presentation, video contest, free food, and fantastic prizes, all live with Q102 Radio Personality “Jon Jon.”
The AOD Prevention Campaign is also sponsoring a contest for the creation of a mascot named B.A.R.T. representing the Brief Alcohol Risk Tool. B.A.R.T. is a survey which provides the people taking it with education regarding alcohol use and misuse and important links to supportive resources. The B.A.R.T. mascot will be used to promote and reinforce student safety, risk reduction and prevention of problems associated with alcohol and other drug abuse and misuse.
The AOD campaign also includes the creation of messaging and a video contest aimed at detouring AOD abuse and misuse and promotes healthy social norms at Xavier.
For more information contact Shelly Madison, Psy.D., 513-745-3022.