On Friday evening, October 30, Xavier's MYXU portal will be getting a refresh. Based on focus groups held with students, faculty and staff in the spring, Xavier's Office of Web Services has re-designed and updated many of the areas of the site. Here are a sampling of some of the changes.
- We heard you loud and clear; you're not in favor of the current yellow color and want it to look more Xavier-like. We think you'll like what you see.
- To Do List: Many students don't always have time to review all of the announcements everyday. Most responded that they eventually look through them all at some point. But, many said they would like to know the handful of very important University-wide issues they should know about. So, we created a "To Do List" based on important information like registration, emegerncy notification, campus announcements and more.
- Most Requested Sites: You told us that the QuickLinks channel was getting too long and no longer "quick." So, we have created a new channel called Most Requested Sites by Students. They are in fact the most popular sites that Xavier students visit based on our web analytics. We think you'll find these very quick!
- Calendar: Not only have we upgraded the Calendar inside the MyXU portal but we've also made it more convenient for students to view a quick listing of the most popular dates for the entire year. The "Important Dates to Know" channel replicates the functionality that w ehave had for entering students that we heard was very popular.
- My Student Services: We think you'll find the listing of all of the services offered to you a little more digestable. Now in smaller segmented channels, the Student Services that you need are even easier to find.
- Library Resource Guides: Thanks to the Library staff, they've made it easier for students to browse Book, Database, Journal and other guides. By default, it will show those resources for your major and then you can change from there.
- Contacts: Surprisingly, a number of students responded to us that they were not sure who their academic advisor is or the folks to contact should they need help with research or students issues. So, we've created something very similiar to what stduents experienced in the Road to Xavier when they were considering Xavier, a dashboard of key contacts. So, hop on the Library tab for a listing of your academic advisor, librarian who works with students in your major, retention offices are more.
- The Connection Center is your new home for information about your technical needs. As a prelude to what will be coming i nthe new Learning Commons, the Connection Center will provide you with the quick help that you need.
- Newswire and Student Involvement: Not as easy to navigate to from the Xavier homepage, we've create a special view of the Xavier Newswire and Student Involvement sites directly from the portal.
- A - Z: A popular request to say the least. Go to the A - Z tab to find everything we could think of that's Xavier related. Couldn't find what you were looking for? Let us know and we'll add it.
- Finally, something cool: You suggested to us that we throw in a few cool features too. We can't wait for you to see the new log-in page complete with a dynamic weather background that will sense if it's day or night, sunny or rainy and more. And, we've started to integrate some social media as well. Make sure to sign-up to be a Xavier Facebook fan while you're at it.
- Most Requested Sites and Processess: You told us that the QuickLinks channel was getting too long and no longer "quick." So, we have created two new channel just for Employees called Most Requested Sites by Employees and Most Requested Processes. They are in fact the most popular sites that Xavier employees visit based on our web analytics and the most requested processess like log-in to Banner, Budget Forms, Tech Help and more. We think you'll find these very quick!
- Calendar: Not only have we upgraded the Calendar inside the MyXU portal but we've also made it more convenient for employees to view a quick listing of the most popular dates for the entire year. The "Important Dates to Know" channel replicates the functionality that we have had for entering students that we heard was very popular.
- Xavier Today: Didn't have the chnace to read your e-mail this morning; don;t worry, check out Xavier Today inside the MyXU portal.
- Employee Services and Business: Probably the most suggested areas for improvement, we've better segment some areas for your personal information and benefits and separated thsoe out from Xavier Business items that you may need from popular forms and guides to Classifieds and the strategic plan.
- Connection Center: Like the students, we've created a new Connection Center, complete with information and links to some of the most popular technical assistance that you'll need.