Prior to the Mass, a plaque was dedicated on the corner of Sycamore and Seventh streets. The plaque, set in a small brick wall, commemorates the spot where Xavier University and St. Xavier High School began.
During the Mass, the University honored the Catholic Church in Cincinnati. The citation reads in part: “The Church of Cincinnati under the leadership of its episcopal shepherds has supported the Jesuit educational ministry as it evolved into today’s St. Xavier High School and Xavier University.” The Archbishop accepted the honor in the name of all his predecessors.
Both schools were founded in 1831 as part of a six-year program. Today, Xavier and St. Xavier are in different locations but are indelibly linked by their heritage, beliefs and educational philosophy of changing lives in the Jesuit tradition.