First Year at Xavier University:
Greek and Roman history, literature, and culture; ancient patronage; the ancient novel
I have taught at Xavier since 2001, and before that I taught six years at Ball State University. I earned a BA in Classics at the University of South Florida, an MA at the University of Florida, and PhD from Northwestern University. My main area of research is late republican, early imperial Roman literature and history and the ancient novel. I have had the great privilege of leading students as director of the Xavier Greece Summer Abroad program. Above I'm on the island of Salamina standing before the monument honoring Greeks that died in the Battle of Salamis, 480 BC.
Here I'm leading the "Kalambaka train" with colleague Rebecca Muich directly behind me, 2012 Greece Program students, and colleague Arthur Dewey pulling up the rear. In the background is one of six famous "monasteries in the sky" at Meteora.
- A Companion to the Ancient Novel. Co-edited with Edmund P. Cueva. Wiley-Blackwell, 2014.
- Jesuit Education and the Classics. Co-edited with Edmund P. Cueva and Frederick Benda, SJ. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2009.
- Authors, Authority, and Interpreters in the Ancient Novel. Essays in Honor of Gareth L. Schmeling. Ancient Narrative Supplementum 5. Co-edited with Edmund P. Cueva and Jean Alvares. Groningen: Barkuis Publishing & Groningen University Library, 2006.
- Longus’ Daphnis and Chloe: An Undergraduate Reader. Co-edited with Edmund Cueva. Wauconda, IL: Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, 2005.
- “Maecenas and Petronius’ Trimalchio Maecenatianus.” Ancient Narrative 6 (2007) 31-49.
- “Martial’s Fiction: Domitius Marsus and Maecenas.” Classical Quarterly 54 (2004) 255-65.
- “Petronius and Maecenas: Seneca’s Calculated Criticism.” In Authors, Authority, and Interpreters in the Ancient Novel, (2006) 83-111.
- “Maecenas and the Battle of Actium.” Festschrift in honor of Carlo Santini
- MAS Steering Committee and Working Group (2014)
- Chair, Classics and Modern Languages (2012-present)
- Director, Honors Bachelor of Arts (2009-present)
- UPRC (2012-2015)
- Alter Hall Renovation Team (ART) (2013-2014)
- UPRC Advisory Committee (2011-2012)
- Faculty Committee (2010-2013; chair 2011-2012)
- Core Curriculum Assessment Committee (2012-present)
- Covington Latin Board (February 2009-2012).
- Academic Assessment and Planning Committee (2008-2011)
- Faculty Hearing Committee (2008-2010)
- Xavier University Peace Studies Minor (2003-present).
- Honors Council (2004-present)
- CAMWS Resolutions Committee (2009-2012)
- Ohio Classical Conference Board Member 2002-2009; Treasurer 2004-2009; Secretary 2007-2009.