- Ph.D. Syracuse University, 2006
- M.A. Syracuse University, 1992
- B.A. Canisius College, 1991
First Year at Xavier University:
Parties and Elections, the Legislative Process, Gender and Politics, Internships and Experiential Learning
Mack Mariani is a Buffalo native and the 2008 chicken wing eating champion of Xavier University. He also earned his BA at Canisius College (1991) and his MA and PHD at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University (1992, 2006).
Professor Mariani's teaching and research interests include campaigns and elections, congress and the legislative process, women and politics, and political internships/experiential learning. Mariani is co-author of Diverging Parties (Westview Press, 2003) and co-editor of The Insider's Guide to Political Internships (Westview Press, 2002). His research has appeared in Political Research Quarterly, Legislative Studies Quarterly, Political Science Quarterly, PS: Political Science and Politics, Politics and Gender, The Journal of Women, Politics, and Policy, Representation, Comparative State Politics and The Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence.
Mariani has 15 years of political experience, having served as a legislative aide and press secretary for U.S. Representative Bill Paxon, chief of staff for the Monroe County (NY) Legislature, and on the speechwriting and media relations teams serving Monroe County Executives Jack Doyle and Maggie Brooks. Mariani started in politics working as an intern for U.S. Representative Jack Kemp.
- POLI 140 - Introduction to American Politics and Government
- POLI 246 – Mass Media and Politics
- POLI 345 - Congress and Interest Groups
- POLI 367 - Gender and Politics
- POLI 391 - Senior Seminar: American Government
- POLI 393 – Advanced Political Analysis
- POLI 397 - Political Internship
- POLI 399 – Political Communication Internship
- PPUB 621 – Quantitative Analysis and Research Design
Spring 2017 Office Hours:
My Spring 2017 office hours are Wednesdays from 8:00 am to 11:50 am, by appointment. To make an appointment to meet in April 2017, click here.