Dr. Shannon Byrne
- Chair, Classics
- Director, Honors Bachelors of Arts Program, Honors Programs
- Director, Honors Bachelors of Arts Program, HAB Program
First Year at Xavier University:
Dr. Byrne has taught at Xavier since 2001, and before that she taught six years at Ball State University. She received her BA in Classics from the University of South Florida, her MA from the University of Florida, and her PhD from Northwestern University. Her main area of research is late republican, early imperial Roman literature and history, but recently she has enjoyed leading students on the Xavier Greece Summer Abroad program. This picture is of Dr. Byrne in front of the monument to the dead in the Battle of Salamis.
- Jesuit Education and the Classics. Co-edited with Edmund P. Cueva and Frederick Benda, SJ. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2009.
- Authors, Authority, and Interpreters in the Ancient Novel. Essays in Honor of Gareth L. Schmeling. Ancient Narrative Supplementum 5. Co-edited with Edmund P. Cueva and Jean Alvares. Groningen: Barkuis Publishing & Groningen University Library, 2006.
- Longus’ Daphnis and Chloe: An Undergraduate Reader. Co-edited with Edmund Cueva. Wauconda, IL: Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, 2005.
- “Maecenas and Petronius’ Trimalchio Maecenatianus.” Ancient Narrative 6 (2007) 31-49.
- “Martial’s Fiction: Domitius Marsus and Maecenas.” Classical Quarterly 54 (2004) 255-65.
- “Petronius and Maecenas: Seneca’s Calculated Criticism.” In Authors, Authority, and Interpreters in the Ancient Novel, (2006) 83-111.
- “Horace’s Epode 5 and Modern Horror Theories.” In Philologiae Flores: Estudios en homenaje a Amalia S. Nocito.
- “The Fiction of Friendship: First-Century Poets on Horace and Virgil.” In Order and Fantasy: The Roots of Fiction in Classical Antiquity. Essays in Honor of Professor Bernhard Kytzler.
- Covington Latin Board (February 2009-present).
- Academic Assessment and Planning Committee (2008-2011)
- Faculty Hearing Committee (2008-2010)
- Xavier University Peace Studies Minor (2003-present).
- Honors Council (since 2004)
- CAMWS Resolutions Committee (2009-2012)
- Ohio Classical Conference Board Member 2002-present; Treasurer 2004-present; Secretary 2007-present.
- Executive Editor of The Classical Bulletin, August 2008-present.
- Book Review Editor, Petronian Society Newsletter, September 2005-present.