Frequently Asked Questions

Xavier publishes a monthly eBill, an electronic presentation of University invoices, for every registered student. Learn more by clicking on the links below.

How do I make a payment on my bursar account?

There are several different ways to make a payment on your bursar account. These are listed on Ways to Pay.

Back to Top

I'm the student, how do I create an Authorized User?

Only the student can create an Authorized User. An Authorized User can be a:

  • parent,
  • both parents (individually: they need separate email addresses or collectively: they have a common email address they share),
  • grandparent(s),
  • employers, etc.

Learn more on Authorized Users.

Back to Top

When is interest assessed on my bursar account?

A 1% interest charge will be assessed on the last business day of the month on any unpaid balance. Interest is only charged on the balance that remains on the account. If you participate in any payment plan, interest will be charged monthly on the total unpaid balance. You can avoid interest by paying the account balance in full by the due date of each monthly bill. Interest will not be assessed on new Fall semester charges or new Spring semester charges at the end of July and December respectively.

Back to Top

Will I be able to view previous eBills?

Yes. Beginning with the August 2010 eBill, all eBills from that point forward are available for viewing. If an invoice from a month prior to August 2010 is needed, please contact the Bursar?s Office at or call 513-745-3435.

Back to Top

I want to change the payment plan I'm currently using. How do I do that?

Back to Top

What do I do to get started?

Registered students are automatically set up to receive their eBill notification. However, students will need to check their Xavier University email account for the email notification telling them that an eBill is ready to be viewed.

Learn more about Getting Started.

Back to Top

How do I access my eBill?

Students can access their eBill through the MyXU Portal.

Learn more about Accessing Your eBill.

Back to Top

What if I do not have access to the Internet or a computer?

Students, who have no other access to the Internet, can do so via the on-campus computer labs. Parents, guardians, and other Authorized User(s) can access the Internet from home, work or anywhere a computer is available. Recipients of an eBill may also print a copy of their bill and send it to their parent/guardian/other via the U.S. Postal Service, if necessary.

Back to Top

Can I authorize people other than myself to receive a copy of my eBill?

Yes, students may authorize others to have access to their eBills. Learn more about setting up an Authorized User.

Back to Top

When and how do I receive my eBill?

The student and any Authorized User(s), created by the student, will receive an email message. The email will be sent to the student at their official Xavier University email address while the Authorized User(s) will receive the email at their preferred email address. The email will alert the student and any Authorized User(s) that their eBill is available to view and pay. Once they click on the link provided in the email and login, the eBill can be viewed. View Xavier's billing schedule so you know when to expect future eBills.

Back to Top

Can I print a copy of my eBill?

Yes, eBills can be printed as you would any document maintained on your computer.

Back to Top

How can I change my personal information?

If you are a student, you can change your address at the Registrar's Office by filling out the yellow Bio/Demographic Data Update form. If you need to change your name, you should take your Social Security card reflecting your new name, to the Registrar's Office to have your name changed. The Registrar's Office also handles student verification forms that acknowledge you are a student at Xavier University. If you are an employee of Xavier University, you must contact Human Resources to make the appropriate changes.

Back to Top

What are eBills?

eBills are online invoices that display the same information as traditional paper billing statements.

Back to Top

What are the benefits of eBills?

eBills provide convenient access from any computer with an Internet connection. Information is secure and confidential. The eBill can only be viewed by the student and any Authorized User(s). There are no mailing and postal delays.

Back to Top

Why doesn't my eBill show all of my financial aid or the payment I just made?

The Bursar's Office publishes eBills at the beginning of every month for accounts that have a balance due or any new account activity from the previous month. If you make a payment, incur any new charges or if financial aid changes after the monthly bill is processed, read the "More Details" section of the All about eBill page.  If your financial aid (loans, scholarships, or grants) still does not appear on your account, you should contact the Financial Aid Office at or 513-745-3142.

Back to Top

How do I request a refund check?

There is no need to request a refund check for a credit balance that appears on your bursar account. The Bursar's Office performs a refund process each week. Refund checks can be electronically deposited to the checking account or savings account of your choice by enrolling in eRefund.  If you choose not to enroll in My eRefund, your refund check will be mailed to your local address on file. If no local address exists in our files, the check will be mailed to your home address. Students can no longer pick their refund check up from the Bursar's Office. 

Learn more about eRefund.

Back to Top

What is My eRefund?

Every week, Xavier processes refunds for students who have overpayments on their bursar account.

Learn more about eRefund.

If I have a bursar hold on my account how do I get it removed?

If your hold is based on the fact that you have not enrolled in a payment plan for the semester, you can complete the process online.  If your hold is due to an outstanding account balance, you can make a payment online.

Learn more about Holds and Cancellations.

Back to Top

What is the Health Insurance charge?

Health insurance is automatically charged to all full-time undergraduates' bursar accounts in the Fall semester. All full-time undergraduates must be covered by a major medical health insurance policy. If the student is covered by their own/parent?s insurance, then this charge can be waived by proof of insurance, which can be done online here after July 1st. If the student is unable to prove that they have health insurance, then the Xavier insurance will cover the student for the school year.

There are some other important dates and deadlines related to the Health Insurance waiver process so for more information, click here.

Back to Top

Where can I go online to see more detail on my bursar account?

Account Summary and Account Summary by Term are two links that are located inside your MyXU Portal on the Student Services tab within the My Academic Records channel. There you will find more detailed account information.

Back to Top

I previously enrolled in a Payment Plan, do I have to enroll each semester?

Yes. All registered Xavier students must enroll in a payment plan each semester. Visit the payment plan website to learn more about how to enroll.

Back to Top

How do I receive a paper bill?

Read the Frequently Asked Question: Can I print a copy of my eBill?

Back to Top

I am enrolled in the Employer Reimbursement Plan with a deferred due date, so why does my monthly statement reflect an earlier due date and an amount due that is more than the tuition?

Notice: Due to a change in federal regulations regarding Truth-in-Lending, Xavier University will no longer offer the Employer Reimbursement Plan beginning with the Fall semester 2014. Students who have used this Plan in the past are encouraged to fund the first semester yourself through whatever means you have available. It might be financial aid, personal savings, financial gifts from relatives or any combination of the three or other means the student may have at their disposal. Then, once the student receives reimbursement from their employer after their first semester, they can use that money to pay for their second semester and keep using the employer reimbursement to pay for their subsequent semesters. The reimbursement the student would receive from their employer after their last semester would go to reimburse them for the initial investment they made at the beginning of their program. 

The Employer Reimbursement Plan is meant to assist students by deferring their balance due date for tuition charges until approximately one month after classes have ended for a given semester.  During this deferment period, interest is still charged to the student's account. This charge is assessed on the last business day of each month and calculated on the total unpaid balance. Therefore, you are being billed monthly for interest and any other fees that have been added during the previous month. You are required to pay the accrued interest each month along with any additional charges above your tuition cost. You can easily calculate what's currently due by taking the Current Balance on your statement and subtracting the cost of tuition. Please review the Terms and Conditions of your payment plan to view your semester due date. Interest and other charges are due as incurred and are billed monthly.


Back to Top

What Payment Plans are available and do I have to enroll each semester?

Back to Top

What is the Instructional Technology Fee, Health and Counseling Fee, Student Activity Fee, and Graduate Student Association Fee?

All four fees are mandatory in that they are charged to every full-time and part-time undergraduate or graduate student. Full-time undergraduate students will see these charges, with the exception of the Graduate Student Association Fee, detailed as separate line items on their semester eBill. Part-time undergraduate students will see only the Student Activity Fee as a separate line item on their semester eBill while the Instructional Technology Fee and the Health and Counseling Fee are included in the tuition charge.  Part-time and full-time graduate students are assessed a Graduate Student Association Fee but the Instructional Technology Fee and the Health and Counseling Fee are included in their tuition charge.

The Instructional Technology Fee and the Health and Counseling Fee are not fees for service but rather fees to support the infrastructure of these two areas. The Instructional Technology Fee makes it possible for students, both on- and off-campus, to access Blackboard, the library, and other areas of the University that are online. The Health and Counseling Fee supports the McGrath Health and Wellness Center which is available to all registered Xavier students.

The Student Activity Fee which funds the Student Government Association (SGA) has historically been funded at 1% of undergraduate tuition. In the Fall Semester of 2010, the SGA worked with administration to develop a fee-based structure, which is the norm for funding Student Government Organizations across the nation. The fee was proposed by representatives from Xavier?s SGA and agreed upon by the University Planning and Resourcing Council. While the fee is now clearly outlined in the cost of tuition, as a separate line item, the implementation of a fee-based structure does not add to the cost of attendance since a corresponding offset in tuition was made.

This fee will be used to fund all organizations under the SGA. This includes the Student Activities Council which organizes over 100 on- and off-campus opportunities for students annually, over 120 clubs, and 6 subordinate bodies (including Club Sports Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and Resident Student Association). Other initiatives sponsored by the SGA include the free Legal Counsel for all enrolled students, a Campus Readership Program that provides free USA Today and New York Times, the Commuter Council, the Commuter Lounge in the Gallagher Student Center (GSC), and a computer kiosk for quick printing in the GSC.

The Student Activity Fee is charged to regular undergraduate students only in the Fall and Spring semesters. CAPS, Weekend Degree, Rad Tech and other non-degree students are assessed this fee. ESL, High School and Senior Citizen students are not assessed the Student Activity Fee.

For more information on the Student Government Association please see

The Graduate Student Association (GSA) represents the students of the various graduate programs in relation to any office or organization within or outside of the university, disseminates information to the graduate student community, provides support not available elsewhere to enhance the educational and professional development of its members, and improves the quality of life for graduate students at Xavier University. GSA needs to be funded in order to fulfill its mission and achieve its purpose. This fee will be used to provide graduate student focused academic experiences in order to supplement the Xavier University graduate student experience, host networking events to encourage cross-departmental collaboration and interaction, promote GSA to raise awareness, host various speakers of interest to graduate students, as well as to fulfill any other needs of the Xavier University graduate community. This fee will also indirectly help to maintain a body that will lobby, work, and advocate to address graduate student concerns and ensure that the needs of graduate student community are being considered by the University in all decisions and areas of operations.

Back to Top

Can I learn more about my eBill?

Your eBill reflects your previous balance, all charges and credits (payments), and your Total Balance. Learn more about your eBill.

Back to Top

How can I forward my XU email to my preferred email address?

The Bursar's Office communicates with students via students' Xavier email addresses. In fact, the student's Xavier email address is the official address for all Xavier communications. Students are advised to check that account regularly or have all their Xavier email forwarded to the email address they access most regularly by following the directions found at

Back to Top

What is class cancellation and how do I avoid it?

Class cancellation is a process that cancels a student's class registration for a particular semester.

Learn all about Holds and Cancellations.

Back to Top

What kind of payments can be applied to my payment plan?

Only direct payments can be applied to payment plans. Direct payments are defined as checks (personal or business), cash, credit card, and 529 plan payments that are sent to Xavier from the plan and aren't established as a contract account (3rd party billing account). Types of payments that cannot be applied to the payment plan include any type of financial aid (loans, outside scholarships, grants, awards, scholarships) and contract payments (3rd party billing accounts).

Why are the 5 payment plans for the Fall and Spring semesters and the 4 payment plan for the Summer semester changing to 3 pay payment plans?

In order to comply with federal regulations surrounding Truth-in-Lending disclosures, an updated X-Flex payment plan will be in place beginning with the Fall 2014 semester. It will include 3 payments per semester rather than the current 5 payments for the Fall semester, 5 payments for the Spring semester, and 4 payments for the Summer semester. Interest will still be charged on the last business day of the month, as we do today. The rate will remain at 1% (subject to change) and it will be calculated based on the remaining balance. We will also be changing our billing date and due date to accommodate this switch to a 3 pay plan. Beginning in July, we will publish eBills on the 15th of each month with the due date being the 1st of each month.


Why is the Employer Reimbursement Plan no longer available beginning with the Fall semester of 2014?

In order to comply with federal regulations surrounding Truth-in-Lending disclosures, the Employer Reimbursement Plan will no longer be an option beginning with the Fall 2014 semester. Students who have used this Plan in the past and aren't financially able to pay their balance in full, can enroll in the X-Flex Payment Plan. Students who do have educational reimbursement as an employee benefit from their employer can, if they so choose, fund their first semester through a variety of options i.e. government loans by filing the FAFSA, alternative loans, savings, etc. or any combination of these and other financial resources. Once they complete their first semester, they can use the reimbursement that they receive from their employer to pay for the next semester, and do it again for subsequent semesters until the final employer reimbursement is made, at which time those funds can go to pay off any loans that were taken out and/or replenish any savings that were depleted to fund the first semester. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the X-Flex Payment Plan by reviewing other answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Back to Top

What else can I see on the My Bursar Account screen?

Along with the My Bursar Account screen, there are several other helpful screens that are found by logging into the Portal, clicking on the Student Services tab, and looking in the My Academic Records channel. The links are:

  • Account Summary
  • Account Summary by Term
  • Title IV Selections: This link is specifically for students who are awarded Federal dollars. Stafford loans are the most common form of Federal dollars received by a student.
  • My E-Refund
  • 1098T Tax Notification

Back to Top