The mission of Xavier University's Athletic Training Program (XU-ATP) is to provide our students with the cognitive, didactic and psychomotor skills necessary to prepare themselves for professional practice as an Athletic Trainer. The XU-ATP is designed to prepare students to be eligible for certification by the Board of Certification (BOC). The program, housed within the Department of Sports Studies, merges a rigorous academic discipline with a variety of practical clinical experiences.
- To provide a rigorous academic program that emphasizes professional integrity and promotes ethical standards of practice.
- To provide an athletic training education program for students desiring BOC Certification.
- To provide a progressively challenging educational experience that combines didactic instruction and clinical experiences, that promotes mastery of competencies and clinical proficiencies.
- To provide students the opportunity to develop their skills in a variety of clinical settings and with a variety of athletes.
- To place students in supervised situations which encourage critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- To expose the athletic training student to other allied health professionals of the athletic health care team both in the classroom and in the clinical settings.